Why You’ll Love It
- Arriving is an adventure itself – you’ll travel the last few miles by whitewater rafting, giving you the chance to spot wildlife along the way
- This National Geographic Lodge runs without electricity, so you’ll return in the evenings to a romantic candelit bungalow
- Don’t confuse ecolodge with roughing it – the 20 bungalows and suites are all well appointed
- Meals can be enjoyed along the peaceful riverbank or at a table set 60 feet up in the canopy
Pacuare Lodge is a luxury ecolodge located on 25,000 acres of pristine Costa Rican rainforest. Adventure is the name of the game here, starting even before you arrive! You’ll start your journey by car from the capital city of San Jose, until you reach the Pacuare River. There, you’ll gear up for a whitewater rafting adventure that takes you another hour deeper into the jungle to the lodge itself. (Don’t worry – your luggage will take the longer journey by road and will meet you in your room a few hours later!)
Every one of the 20 villas is designed to give you the experience of living in a tropical rainforest without sacrificing on any comfort. The buildings complement the surroundings, with materials like hardwood floors and teak furniture that bring the outdoors in. All have spacious terraces where you can relax and listen to the sounds of the forest, while keeping an eye out for colorful wildlife. Our favorite choice for romance is the Jaguar Villa, with a private spring-fed pool and outdoor showers.
While some hotels and resorts want you to stay in your room and relax, Pacuare Lodge is all about getting you out into nature. We highly recommend a tour to Tesorito Creek Gorge, where you’ll have a chance to go canyoning and rock climbing before rappelling into a cool waterfall. For more thrills (and a chance to spot more wildlife!) head out on a ziplining canopy adventure – you’ll see plenty of exotic birds among the treetops. If hiking is your thing, take the challenging Sendero de las Mulas trail through the Nairi Awari Indigenous Reserve – your hard work will pay off when you reach the hidden mystical waterfall.
After a long day’s adventure, you’ll return to Pacuare Lodge to find it transformed into a magical candelit wonder. The lodge uses minimal electricity so you won’t find any overhead lighting here – instead, your farm-to-table meal will be served by the romantic light of hundreds of candles. You can choose to dine down by the riverbank, but we recommend booking “The Nest” for one night during your stay. You’ll zipline to a thatch platform, where you’ll enjoy a meal high up in the canopy. Talk about an evening you’ll never forget!
Ready for an incredibly unique dining experience? Fly like a bird down a zipline to reach The Nest, a thatched-roof platform set in the branches of a sacred ceiba tree 60 feet above the jungle floor. You’ll enjoy dinner in the jungle canopy before ziplining back down.
River Oaks Travel Extras
- Upgrade on arrival, subject to availability
- Complimentary Breakfast daily
- Dinner set up by the river bank with candles and firepit
- Complimentary $50 Spa credit per room
- Shot of Pacuare Lodge crafted beer
Contact your River Oaks Travel advisor to reserve your stay at Pacuare Lodge: