While social distancing may be the best thing for society right now, it already has us going a little stir-crazy! Combine that with the disappointment of cancelled trips, and we need a little wanderlust pick-me-up. With that in mind, we’re going to be doing a series of blogs with ways to get your travel fix while staying home. Today’s feature: travel-themed books (both fiction and non!) that will transport you from your couch to sun drenched beaches, misty forests and glimmering cities around the world!
While our advisors all love to binge watch a great show as much as the next person, we also love to lose ourselves in a great travel book! There’s nothing like curling up in a comfy chair and losing yourself among the rolling hills and vineyards of Italy while reading Under the Tuscan Sun, capering about the corridors of The Plaza Hotel with Eloise or finding your inner Zen while following Elizabeth Gilbert on her journey of self-discovery in Eat, Pray, Love. Below we’ve created a list of some of our favorite books that have transported us to far off locales!
- Eat, Pray Love: Italy, India, Bali
- Under the Tuscan Sun: Italy
- Out of Africa: Kenya
- 1,000 Places to See Before You Die: Worldwide!
- Next Year in Havana: Cuba
- The Good Girl’s Guide to Getting Lost: Ireland, Australia, South America
- The Caliph’s House: Morocco
- Into Thin Air: Himalayas
- Wild: Pacific Crest Trail
- The Jetsetters: Mediterranean
- Madeline: France
- Atlas Obscura: Worldwide!
- How Not to Travel the World: Worldwide!
- Circe: Greece
- Eloise: New York
- Crazy Rich Asians: Singapore
- The Alchemist: Egypt
- War and Peace: Russia
- The House of the Spirits: Chile
- One Hundred Years of Solitude: Colombia
- Zorba the Greek: Greece
- The Name of the Rose: Italy
What are your favorite travel books?
Did we miss any of your favorites on this list? Have any ideas for future blog posts on ways to travel vicariously? Or have we inspired you to start planning a trip somewhere once it’s safe? Reach out to our team of travel advisors – we’d love to hear from you!